Pebble Creek Ski Area: For the Largest fun in the Smallest Area
The Pebble Creek Ski Area located in Inkom, Idaho has been an equal favourite among the families as it has been among the younger folks. It is, however, smaller as compared to other ski areas but, it provides you with the best of terrain and even greater challenges. Pebble Creek is situated in southeastern Idaho in close proximity to Pocatello. This resort has an incredible beginner’s area located at the base of the hill and then has steep chutes as you progress further up to the summit. So, it will definitely satiate the thrill demands of skilled folks and at the same time safe for the whole family.
Pebble Creek has everything that a regular sized ski area provides from – three magnificent terrain parks, rental services, well-crafted runs, modern day lifts, and the best staff who would go to any lengths to make your trip a memorable one. This particular ski area at the moment only offers sporting venues during the winter season but, that surely doesn’t mean otherwise. Here at the resort, you will also find a 1,098 meter USAA Giant Slalom run along with a 565 meter long USAA Slalom run. You can ski and snowboard your heart’s content.
- Summit: The summit of the mountain (served by any lift) is at 8,560 feet.
- Vertical Drop: The hill has 2,200 feet vertical drop and is served by a lift.
- Runs: Pebble Creek has 54 runs that are located on 1,100 skiable acres.
- Lifts: There are 3 triple chair lifts.
- Skiable area: 1,100 acres or 4.5-kilometer square. It can be classified as follows:
o Beginners: 12 %
o Intermediate: 35 %
o Advanced: 53 %
- The rate of snowfall: On an average, the area receives 250 inches or 640 centimeters worth of snowfall each year.
- Snowmaking: Yes, Pebble Creek has snowmaking services that were added to the lower areas of the mountain back in the 1990s.
Located in the Alpine surroundings of southeastern Idaho is Pebble Creek Ski Area. Its luscious neighbouring region comprises of the Caribou National Forest. Towards the west of the ski area is Pocatello and further in the same direction you will reach Bannock County.
The runs of Pebble Creek Ski Area are located on Mount Bonneville, its northwestern slopes to be precise. Summit of the mountain is at a height of 9,271 feet or 2825 meters above sea level. The summit is also the highest point of elevation in the Portneuf Range. From this height, the vertical drop is also staggering at 2911 feet or 887 meters. Now, the lift does not scale the actual summit of the mountain but reaches the maximum height of 8560 feet or 2609 meters and the vertical drop from this point is about 2200 feet or 670 meters. However, you can very well scale atop the mountain on foot, keeping in mind the weather conditions permit.
Pebble Creel was opened to public back in the year 1949. At that point in history, it was christened as Skyline and was equipped with 2 rope tows and a warming hut. Later in 1958 and 1960 Poma Lifts were added. In 1966 the first double chairlift was introduced and since then the steeper terrain became easily accessible. The lodges that you find today, their precursors were built in 1968 and they typically have undergone numerous refurbishments since then.
Skyline, as it was called back then was sold in the year 1978 and it changed hand once again a year later in 1979. It was purchased by a certain Pebble Creek Land Company and thus the resort was renamed as – Pebble Creek in the same year. The company installed a CTEC triple chairlift in 1980 along with additional terrains. Due to certain undisclosed reasons the ski area was sold again and this time it was purchased by Pebble Creek Ski Area Ltd. It was a conglomerate of investors who hailed from the neighbouring areas. Since then the ski area has flourished with considerable developmental initiatives amounting to a complete overhaul of the ski area and its services. A major addition to the area came in 2001 when a triple lift was introduced by replacing the old Minor-Denver double chair. With this new introduction, the extent of the lift services went on to add 200 vertical feet or 61 meters to its portfolio.
Today you can find 3 chairlifts all of which are triple and serve an area of about 1,100 acres or 4.5 square kilometers. Further, snowmaking was required and introduced in the 1990s but is located only in the lower areas of the mountain. Despite it being relatively smaller, Pebble Creek Ski Area has been listed along the 30 top ski areas in the Snow Board Magazine’s annual listings.
Each of their visitors has left the ski area happy and elated. There is a reason that most of them keep coming back here every year, the resort never seems to disappoint. Moreover, Pebble Creek also comes up with numerous seasonal offers and packages and if you want the latest information with respect to them, prices or anything else then you can very well contact the office staff of the ski area. They will be more than happy to assist you.
The projected dates for the year 2016 are – 16th December to mid of March. The resort is said to be open all throughout the week. It will remain closed on Christmas day. Further, as snow and the weather permits, it could also open early during weekends.
- The usual opening hours are 9:30 am to 4:00 pm.
- In the month of March, the resort will remain closed on Mondays and Tuesdays.
- Post 15th March, the opening hours change to – 10:00 am to 5 pm.
- Night time skiing is subject to weather conditions and is usually made available only between January 7th through March 11th, between 4:00 pm to 9:30 pm.
Much of the grand mountain is featured like a natural terrain park. Here you can not only ski for your own entertainment but also work towards perfecting your skills. Now, in addition to this natural one, there are two other terrain parks within the ski area. Both of them are well groomed and contain boxes, rails, corrugated tubes, jumps, rollers and an old lift tower. Now, if you want to enter these parks then the way begins at the market gates.
Once you are there on the mountain in the Pebble Creek Ski Area the first and the foremost thing(s) that you will have to keep in mind pertains to your safety. Now, there are various elements which are required to be considered. The ski area mandates the following pointers:
- Always stay in control, and be able to stop or avoid other people or objects.
- People ahead of you have the right of way. It is your responsibility to avoid them.
- You must not stop where you obstruct a trail or are not visible from above.
- Whenever starting downhill or merging into a trail, look uphill and yield to others.
- Always use restraining devices to help prevent runaway equipment.
- Observe all posted signs and warnings. Keep off closed trails and out of closed areas.
- Prior to using any lift, you must have the knowledge and ability to load, ride, and unload safely.
Following is a list of the resorts closer to Pebble Creek Ski Area is:
- Beaver Mountain: 103km
- Kelly Canyon Ski Area: 106km
- Pomerelle Mountain Resort: 130km
- Snow King Mountain, Jackson: 137km
- Snow King Resort: 137km